Let’s talk Non Scale Victories aka NSV’s. I see so many people online in various FB groups upset that the scale isn’t showing them what they want.
In a world where the scale is a huge measure of our worth (not really) it’s important to look at all the ways we are succeeding besides the number on the scale going down.
This “Keto thing” isn’t always just about weight loss, it’s about health and quality of life too. Did you know many people go Keto and weight loss has nothing to do with it? What?? Gasp!!! It’s true.
Cutting carbs down to 20g a day, eating moderate protein and high fat has multiple health benefits.
- Lowers cholesterol (bad cholesterol gets better and big and fluffy!)
- Restores hormonal functions to normal
- Helps you sleep better
- Brings blood pressure down to healthy levels
- Lessens cavities (no more sugar sitting around on those teeth)
- Returns blood sugar to normal levels
- Reduces inflammation
- Skin becomes softer and clearer
Improved health markers is no small victory – so maybe the scale hasn’t moved in a while or it moves S O S L O W…..but if you are feeling better that means Keto is doing it’s job and that is to heal your body.
When the scale is moving, the NSV’s come fast and furious!
- Going down in clothing sizes
- Belly not hitting the steering wheel
- Accomplishing fitness tasks previously unable to
- Fitting better in airplane and movie theater seats
- Cuter clothes
- Riding on roller coasters again
- Going on a bike ride longer than 5 minutes
And let’s not forget the mental clarity and no more brain fog! I mean, how great is it to not forget what you walked in to the room for? Or to not have to read things over and over to comprehend it because you are so foggy?
All of these things have happened for me and that has led to a better overall quality of life. Do I get frustrated when the scale moves at its own pace? Sure, but overall I am pleased with the scale results and all the other things that have improved my life, so stopping this way of eating never occurs to me.
If you are feeling frustrated with scale progress, sit down and make a list of all the things that are better in spite of your disappointment with the scale and you will see that staying the course is worth it.